If you need a more accessible version of this website, click this button on the right. Switch to Accessible Site

WARNING

You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.

Close [x]

RSS Feed

Posted on 04-23-2018

What to Do if Your Pet Eats Something Poisonous

Dogs and cats will eat anything that looks tasty, whether or not it's good for them. What if you suspect your pet has gotten into some poisonous substance? At Paws & Claws Pet Medical Center we have dog and cat patients that have ingested a puzzling variety of unhealthy substances. In most cases, paying attention to your pet's behavior can be the key to a happy and healthy ending to the incident.

What to Do if Your Pet Eats Something Poisonous.

What is Poisonous for Pets?

A surprising number of things can make dogs and cats sick, including a long list of foods that are perfectly safe for humans to eat. Some of the more common ones we see are:

  • Human medications like prescription drugs and herbal supplements
  • People food such as onions, grapes and raisins, chocolate, coffee, alcohol, and sugarless chewing gum
  • Houseplants including ivies, chamomile, lilies, and aloe
  • Normal household chemicals such as cleaning products, insect sprays, paint, and gardening chemicals

How to Tell if Your Pet is Poisoned

The symptoms of poisoning can vary widely depending on what your pet has ingested. Some of the most common signs to watch for are diarrhea and vomiting, coughing, sneezing, seizures, shaking, lack of appetite, needing more water than usual, and acting unusually excitable. Some pets might not even appear sick, as the symptoms can take longer to appear. Be alert for other signs of poisoning such as opened wrappers, empty containers (especially ones with teeth marks), or spilled substances. These could all be signs of trouble.

If you find any of these signs, put your pet into a safe space such as a closed room, then call our office immediately. Call even if your pet is acting completely normal. We'll advise you on the next steps to take when you speak with our team.

Looking for a Troutdale Veterinarian? Contact Us Today!

Accidental poisoning can be a frightening experience, and it helps to know your team is ready to help. For care in the Troutdale and Gresham area, call our office at 503-661-1833 to make an appointment or to speak with a caregiver today.

There are no comments for this post. Please use the form below to post a comment.

Post Comment