Pet Proof Your Home from Poisons

Pet Proof Your Home from Poisons

Last year, more than 100,000 pets are accidentally poisoned by household items people believe are harmless. For example, you may already know that chocolate is harmful to dogs and cats, but did you know that giving your pet a bite of your guacamole could kill it? Avocados, onions and garlic, all common ingredients of guacamole, cause digestive problems in cats, dogs, birds and rodents. They can also cause difficulty in breathing and sometimes, even death.

Tips from Our Veterinarian to Prevent Accidental Pet Poisoning

•    Medications for humans are poisonous to pets: Accidentally ingesting human medications is the number one cause of pet poisoning. This is whether the medication is an over-the-counter pain remedy or a prescription drug. Digestive problems, kidney failure, seizures and even death can occur. Even vitamins can be harmful. Call your veterinarian immediately if your pet inadvertently takes your pills.

•    Avoid certain plants: Some plants that you use to decorate your home can be lethal to a pet who decides to munch on the leaves. Plants you should particularly avoid include poinsettias, lilies, azaleas, and rhododendrons.

•    Human foods can be hazardous to pets: In addition to chocolate and avocados, you should never allow a pet to eat grapes or raisins, macadamia nuts, alcohol or any product that has the artificial sweetener, xylitol. This is often found in gum and candy. Ingestion of any of these products may end in you taking a trip to the veterinary clinic with your very sick pet.

•    Common pesticides can be toxic: Whether you have a product to keep snails out of your garden, to kill flies, ants or rodents, all are dangerous to your pet if ingested.

•    General household items: Many items, from the bleach you use for cleaning to the paint thinner or antifreeze you keep around just in case you need them, are actual death traps for your pet. They can cause both digestive and respiratory problems.

If you have experienced a pet poisoning incident, please let us know. Your story may help other pet owners poison-proof their homes.

Font Resize
Contrast
Call Us Text Us