Pet Poison Treatment From Our Troutdale Veterinarian
At Paws & Claws Pet Medical Center, our veterinarian in Troutdale is here for your pet at all stages in life. And while we hope your pet will never experience an emergency medical situation, we think it is good for all pet owners to be aware of some of the more common emergencies we see. By being educated on these scenarios, pet owners will know how to spot early signs of problems and act promptly, which could very well save a pet's life. One of the more common emergencies we see in our office is that of a cat or dog ingesting a poison or toxin.
Common Pet Toxins/Poisons and Their Symptoms
Some pet owners are surprised to learn about some seemingly "harmless" substances or foods that can actually be fatal to pets. In fact, many human foods can cause serious reactions in pets, which is just one of many reasons that we never recommend pet owners feed their cats or dogs table scraps. Chocolate is a prime example of a human food that can be fatal if ingested by a cat or dog. Some other examples include coffee, garlic, and even apple seeds.
In addition to foods, pets sometimes come into contact with chemicals that can be very dangerous to their health. Antifreeze is a classic example of a chemical that can be deadly to pets. In the past, this was more of a common issue because the ingredients in antifreeze give it a sweet smell and taste. Fortunately, many antifreeze manufacturers these days have changed their formulas to have a more bitter smell so as to make dogs less likely to ingest it.
The specific symptoms a pet may display if affected by poisons or toxins can vary, but some of the most common symptoms include:
- Vomiting/inability to keep down food and/or liquid
- Fatigue or lack of energy
- Inability to move
What to Do if You Think Your Pet Has Ingested a Toxin/Poison
If your pet displays any symptoms of having ingested a toxin or poison, it is important to seek pet poison treatment as soon as possible. Every minute and second is precious, so there is no time to spare. Sometimes, there is no way of knowing for sure if your pet has ingested (or what) until a veterinarian can take an X-ray or ultrasound. However, if you know what your pet has ingested, it is always a good idea to bring a sample of it (especially if it is a chemical, such as a cleaning product), so long as it is kept out of reach of your pet. This can help our veterinary team have a better idea of how to treat it. To treat a pet who has ingested a toxin or poison, we will likely induce vomiting.
Questions? Contact Our Gresham Vet Today!
If you have questions about protecting your pet or would like to schedule an appointment, contact our Gresham vet at 503-661-1833. We are also available during our regular hours for emergency care if your pet ever needs it.
Dog and Cat Poisoning FAQs Answered by our Troutdale Veterinarians
If you do everything you can to help your four-legged friend live a safe, healthy life, you're probably worried about the possibility of his encountering a poisonous substance. The more you know about dog and cat poisoning, the better equipped you'll be to prevent or respond to the problem. Here are some frequently asked questions on the subject from Paws & Claws Pet Medical Center in Troutdale.'
What Common Indoor Substances or Poisonous to Pets?
Pets can be poisoned by a number of common household substances. Poisons may include household cleaners, laundry products, adhesives, and any medications that have not been securely removed from an animal's reach.
What Outdoor Substances do I Need to Protect My Pet Against?
Dogs and cats are vulnerable to chemicals such as insecticides, but they can also be poisoned by the certain flowers and plants. Daffodil bulbs, dieffenbachia, poinsettias, azaleas, buttercups, irises, and daylilies are just a few examples. Puddles of automotive fluids are also poisonous to pets.
Can Human Foods Hurt My Dog and Cat?
A variety of foods that are harmless to humans have toxic effects on pets. Dogs and cats can be poisoned avocados, chocolate, onions, garlic, grapes, raisins, and items sweetened with xylitol.
What Are the Signs that My Pet Has Ingested a Poisonous Substance?
Your pet may have ingested a poisonous substance if he experiences vomiting, diarrhea, convulsions, disorientation, fainting, listless or sudden bleeding/bruising.
How Should I React if I Think My Pet Has Been Poisoned?
Call Paws & Claws Pet Medical Center immediately for advice on how to proceed. We'll generally tell you to bring your pet to us right away for emergency treatment. Forcing vomiting may be the wrong strategy since some substances can do even more damage if they pass through the esophagus a second time. If you can identify the poison in question, bring a sample of it with you.
How do You Treat Pet Poisoning?
Our team will analyze your pet's vital signs and symptoms along with the substance that caused the poisoning to determine the right course of treatment. In some cases, that means administering drugs to induce vomiting; in others, it may mean administering activated charcoal products that neutralize the poison. We may also need to restore fluids lost through vomiting or diarrhea.
Rely on Your Gresham and Troutdale Veterinarian
Pet poisoning is a scary situation, so don't allow yourself to be caught unprepared. Our Gresham and Troutdale veterinarian has the skills and expertise needed to treat cases of dog or cat poisoning. Call 503-661-1833 anytime you need lifesaving answers, advice, and treatment from Paws & Claws Pet Medical Center in Troutdale.